Office of Student Life

Facility Services

Insurance Coverage

Insurance Coverage and Accident Reporting

1. An accident is defined as any incident that causes damage to persons or property.

2. If an accident involving a vehicle that is owned, leased, donated or otherwise managed by the university results in personal injury to either party or results in property damage that equals or exceeds $400, an accident report must be filed with local authorities.

3. Departments are required to report all accidents (even those not requiring a report to local authorities) to Transportation & Traffic Management within 48 hours after the occurrence.

4. Transportation & Traffic Management process all insurance claims for university vehicles.

5. Departments may not authorize repairs (other than emergency repairs to safely return to their lodging/destination) until authorization is received from Transportation & Traffic Management.

6. Departments are liable for the deductible for each incident as established by the university.

What to do in the event of an Accident/Breakdown/Repair

  • Call a member of your management team or an affiliated organization to let them know what happened.
  • The following information will need to be obtained from the other driver in the event of an accident:
  • Year of vehicle
  • Make and model of vehicle
  • Color of vehicle
  • License plated number
  • Driver’s license number of the other driver
  • Do NOT make any statement, oral or written, as to who was at fault. Any admission of fault may impair the insurer’s ability to defend a case of questionable legal liability.